Friday, December 7, 2007

How I met my kids' father



Well it was just a little over 6 years ago in July of 2001 that I was working as a manager of a Subway in American Fork Utah. I had just gotten out of a really dumb relationship-I decided I was completely done dating and I was SET on going on a mission for my church. My bishop was understanding...understanding in a way that was more like-"let's see what happens in the next few months, and see how you feel." I knew I would feel no different-I was going on a mission in January and that was that.
Then a friend of a friend came home from his mission, his name was James, he was also set on not dating-so we became fast hang out buddies. He was working with a mechanic in Alpine and one day he called me up at Subway and asked me to bring up 3 sandwiches when I got off work to the guys at the shop. I made the sandwiches, stopped at home to change out of my ugly clothes and put on some skanky ones, (back then, I didn't think they were skanky, they weren't all that modest-but to hear Chad describe my tank top and holey jeans that day-you would think I was auditioning for a Vegas strip show)! When I got to the shop you guessed it one of the 3 guys was Chad.
Chad was working on a car the whole time I was there, barely said hi and thank you, and to be quite honest, I barely noticed him, except for his SUPER blue eyes, which still can take me by surprise! The owner of the shop, Kyle talked non-stop to me and I had a good time for a bit, before I headed home to hang out with my best friend.
I can't be sure if it was the next day or the one after that, that Kyle and Chad came into Subway for lunch. Kyle again talked to me for a long time, but the only thing I got from Chad was what toppings he wanted on his sandwich. I saw a lot of them over the next couple of weeks-and I was completely oblivious to Chad. He was a nice guy, but just a nice guy who came in for lunch-there were a lot of those...
Then Thursday, July 26th, I got a phone call at work and the guy on the other end asked me "how I felt about older guys", me, a little confused at who it might be-he might have even said, but it hadn't registered at that point answered, "I LOVE older guys". Then he had the nerve to ask if he could take me out that night, as soon as I said "yes" I regretted it. What was I thinking? I was not dating anyone anymore!!!
Well that night, I was COMPLETELY dreading the upcoming date, and when it was about 5 minutes past the time he was supposed to pick me up, I started getting ready to leave. I didn't put up with people, especially dates being late-this wouldn't have been the first time that I wasn't home to receive a late gentleman caller...My roomate and bestest friend Melissa tried to talk me out of leaving, and when Chad called to tell me that he was going to be late (DUH!), I wouldn't talk to him, Melissa did, and she pretty much told him, that he had about 30 seconds to get there or I would not be there. (I think I thought pretty highly of myself at the time...)
When he finally came and got me, I think the only reason I went was because he was driving a jeep. He took me to Cabo Grill, I had never been-but turns out, I loved it-the food that is, him, not so much-hating the whole first date questions and counting the minutes till he dropped me off.
After dinner he asked if I wanted to go get a movie and go back to his place-typical, I thought-he totally just wants to make out. When we pulled up to Blockbuster, we sat in the jeep and talked for a minute, and it was then that he told me that he had 2 kids. I know that's when most girls would start running, for some reason, it had the complete opposite effect on me, for some strange, unknown reason I always knew that I would marry someone with kids. Not that I thought I would marry this guy, but I was more intrigued at that point. It was at this point that Chad asked if I would rather just drive and talk.
We ended up driving up American Fork canyon and stopping at a place called Tibble Fork, we talked for hours while Chad did flips over the ro-bar. We had lots in common and it was so easy to be myself with him. At one point Chad asked me to marry him jokingly and I jokingly said yes, but at that point-I don't think either of us was entirely joking.
When he took me home, we found out that his youngest brother was my age and that I knew him, one of my friends Sara had gone to a dance with him, and they were in our group. Melissa was gone when we got home she was hanging out with a friend of ours, Matt, so I asked Chad to wait until she got home, because I was scared to be home alone, (our house was HAUNTED_NO LIE!!!).
Well we ended up talking on the couch for a long time and I guess I fell asleep with my feet on his lap. He stayed awake and watched me sleep forever, when I woke up, I was embarassed to see that he was staring at me. He was just too dang sweet, I don't know if I was just tired or a big old hussy-but I sat up and totally started kissing him!
Well he didn't stop me and about 3 days later we had said that we loved each other, in about a week we were talking marriage, 9 weeks from our first date we were engaged at the same spot he had asked me to marry him on our first date (Tibble Fork). 15 weeks and 3 days from our first date, it was November 10 and we were married in the Mt. Timpanogas Temple, and haven't looked back since.
It's been a fantastic 6 years and I am SO glad that Melissa talked me into staying and waiting a few more minutes for him. He was so worth the wait!

No comments: