Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I had the most pleasant (make that unpleasant) conversation with an 80 year old man today at the grocery store.
I took my kids with me in the morning, and so it was mostly older people in the store shopping, all were very nice to my kids and smiled and talked to them until I got to the self-checkout stand.
This man comes up to me and asks incredulously, “Are all of these your kids?”
I looked around to see if some school just dropped off their field trip gang behind my cart, by the way he said it, when I saw that it was just my little ones, I replied, “Yup, all three are mine.”
He says, “Well I am turning 80 next week, so I know what I’m talking about-you NEED to listen to me.”
“Okay.”
He then went on to tell me that I needed to just put them all in front of a big TV and just walk away from them.
Crazy right?
It gets better.
Then he tells me that having children is only good for the government and for eventually paying taxes.
He told me that I needed to put a zipper on “it” (I’ll spare you his language) and that I need to be done having kids.
As he was about to walk away, since I wouldn’t engage in conversation with him…he asks me if they all got social security cards when they were born.
I warily answered yes.
“Well, then see, they already belong to the government and not to you anyway, so why are you even bothering with them?”
I was so livid, but I didn’t want to berate him, so I let him walk away while I fumed.
Can you believe that?
Usually I just get, “You know how that happens right? Ha ha.”
This was something altogether new.

No comments: