Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Daily Something September 14: Delicious Mistakes

Daily Something
Sometimes the best things in life come when we mess up...an unplanned pregnancy for example...or in my case these cookie bars.
I wanted the whole family to get together and bake something delicious as a group. I thought it would be a fun and bonding experience.
It didn't work out that way and it ended up just being me and Porter trying to follow a simple cookie recipe from the web on my nook. The screen kept going dark and I would have to turn it on again, or Porter would change the page-so I had a hard time following the recipe, I added too much salt and had to take some out and then I totally messed up the peanut butter and added nearly 2 cups of peanut butter rather than 6 tablespoons. I thought for sure they had been ruined. I decided to make them into cookie bars since it was like brownie batter instead of a cookie dough. I had some left over and made some cookies too. They both turned out equally delicious. I am sure they are even better than the originals, because these are so darn scrumptious, there is no way that the other way could be better. Here is my new and improved recipe, (at least in my family's eyes and tummies).


White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Bars.
(adapted from howsweeteats.com)
makes 1 large pan of cookie bars with enough left over for a dozen cookies...perfect to bring to a party and still have some left for you at home! :)

  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour (I'm sure any all-purpose flour would do, but I had bread flour...and yum)
  • 2 cups of Quaker old fashioned oats (or store brand whatever you have)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of creamy peanut butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks at room temp
  • 4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups white chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325. Spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray. Put peanut butter and butter into a bowl and melt at 30 second intervals until all creamy and melted. Leave on counter to cool.

Meanwhile mix flour, oats, baking soda & salt in a bowl and set aside.

You don't want the peanut butter, butter mixture to be hot, but mine wasn't completely cooled either...I was working with a 3 year old here. So when I couldn't wait any longer I added the sugars and stirred until combined.  Then I added the vanilla, egg and egg yolk and stirred that all in (no mixer required-these things are gooey). Then I just dumped in all the dry ingredients and mixed that in real good. Finally, stir in chocolate chips.

Put a thin layer (a little less than an inch) of the dough in the pan and spread evenly.
Cook for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden.
Or you can scoop them with your cookie scoop and bake them as cookies for 10-12 minutes.

Delicious Mistake.


No comments: